It’s that time of year when we open up our survey satchels to gather as much information about the sector as we possibly can. This year, there are also some stellar prizes up for grabs.
Why do we run the survey? Well, although we are in regular contact with members, the survey allows us to gather data to identify important trends, and to hear new feedback about key issues in the sector. It helps us to celebrate successes and to find the ways we can best support community exhibition going forward. Each year, we create a report from our findings. This becomes an important record of how the sector adapts to change.
Given the challenges of the last year, it’s extremely important to us that we gather a wide range of responses so that we can represent the sector accurately and advocate for its interests. No matter how active or inactive your group has been over the last year, we would love to hear from you.
Not only will you be pitching in with important work, you also have a chance to win one of three fantastic prizes in our survey prize draw.
- A £50 John Lewis voucher
- A six-month subscription to Sight and Sound magazine
- A Blu-ray/DVD boxset selected by Cinema For All
To take part in the prize draw, be sure to fill in your contact details at the end of the survey. This information will be stored separately so that all survey responses will remain completely anonymous.
Previous Community Exhibitor Survey reports can be read HERE.
Please, take some time to fill in our survey HERE. If you have hosted screenings between April 2020-March 2021, please have records to hand.
You can now download Cinema For All’s 2019 Community Exhibitor Survey report.
Each year, we conduct a survey of the community film exhibition sector to gather a wide range of data about the groups we represent. This year’s survey report presents findings from the past year, and, for the first time, also analyses trends within the sector over the past 10 years.
The Community Exhibitor Survey allows us to see what we’re doing well and what we could improve on. Not only this, but it gives you a chance to reflect on all of the great work done by you and your fellow volunteers!
Highlights from the Community Exhibitor Survey 2019:
- The three most-screened films were Three Billboards, A Fantastic Woman and Shoplifters.
- The average adult ticket price is £6.04 – once again, over a pound lower than the commercial average!
- The average total number of admissions across the year per group has risen by over 1,000 since 2009, now at 2,383.
- Over a quarter of groups are based in cities. This figure has risen by 20% over the last decade!
- 24% of films screened were in a foreign language and 21% were British.
- Over half of the films screened by at least ten respondents were British or in a foreign language.
- 853 different films were screened by respondents, and over two thirds of these were screened by just one respondent. This shows the great variety in your programmes!
- Over half of groups enhanced their screenings with additional activity (e.g. Q+As, guest speakers, immersive elements).
Download previous survey reports here.
Each year Cinema For All conducts a survey of the community film exhibition sector to gather a wide range of data about the groups that we represent.
The survey is extremely important to us, our funders and the work we do to best represent the needs and interests of community cinemas across the UK. Filling out the survey is also really beneficial to you, as it gives you a chance to reflect on and talk about all of the great work done by you and your fellow volunteers throughout the past year.
The results of the survey are shared widely and are a major opportunity to publicly showcase the excellence of volunteer-led cinema, the great value you represent and the wonderful films you show!
As a thank you from us for completing the survey, you will be entered into a draw to win one of our fantastic prizes:
- First prize: 2 tickets to the 2019 Community Cinema Conference
- Second prize: £50 John Lewis voucher
- Third prize: Cinema For All goody bag full of Blu Rays, DVDs and more
Deadline for responses: 16 August 2019
You can read through the results of last year’s survey here.
Please let us know if you have any access issues or wish to discuss the survey with us. All the very best for your upcoming screenings!
Each year Cinema For All conducts a survey of the community film exhibition sector to gather a wide range of data about the groups we represent. This survey allows us to see what we’re doing well and what we could improve on. Not only this, but it gives you a chance to reflect on all of the great work done by you and your fellow volunteers.
Key Findings of the Community Exhibitor Survey 2017/18:
- The average public ticket price was £5.48, more than £2 lower than the national average for commercial cinemas, which is £7.49.
- The top three most screened films were Hidden Figures, A Man Called Ove and Lion.
- Just under half of respondents (48%) operated a membership system in 2017/18 and the average membership size was 131.
55% of respondents saw their membership increase or stay the same in 2017/18.
- On average, respondents were located 7.2 miles from their nearest commercial cinema.
- 38% of respondents operate in a ‘rural’ area, compared to 2.5% of commercial cinemas.
Read previous survey reports
Each year we ask community cinema organisers to fill out a survey reporting on all aspects of community cinema exhibition over the past year.
The survey allows us to see what we’re doing well and what we could improve on. Not only this, but it gives you a chance to reflect on all of the great work done by you and your fellow volunteers.
As an incentive to complete the survey, you will be entered into a draw to win one of our amazing prizes, including 2 tickets to the 2018 Community Cinema Conference!
You can read previous survey reports here.
COMPLETE THE 2018 COMMUNITY EXHIBITOR SURVEY HERE
Are you a Member, Associate or Affliate of Cinema For All? We would love to hear from you!
In line with BFI2022, Cinema For All is developing our strategy for 2017-2020. We want to continue to support and develop the community exhibition sector to the best of our ability.
As community cinema exhibitors, your input is important to us and to help us move forward we would like to hear your thoughts. We have designed a short survey to help us gather your feedback and ideas. Please take a moment to fill in the survey and help us shape the future of Cinema For All. The survey takes around 10-15 minutes to complete. The deadline for completion of the survey is midday on 20 February.
Click here to complete the Cinema For All Strategy 2017-2020 Survey.